Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity. ~I Timothy 4:12~

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Why God, Horses, and Business?

It may seem like an odd mix of topics. Probably because it is. However, in my life these are all interrelated. In fact, these three areas pretty much sum up the majority of my life. These are the areas that I have interest in and am actively pursuing for my future.

Every day I try to grow closer to God and learn more about Him. That's the biggest chunk of my life. Next is horses. Horses have been my passion and a desire of my heart since I was two, and the exact moment is even caught on home video as I ride the pony rides visiting my town. Finally, business. This isn't an area I'm in love with like the other two, but it's where God has given me talents and where my career will leave me.

Now how are all of these related? God and horses have gone together in my mind since my early childhood. I'd always pray for a horse and ask God to give me one so I could go and spread the word about Him. Of course at that age I really just wanted a horse and had to justify my prayer request somehow. As time went on my faith was tested when my prayer request was never answered, but the correlation between God and horses grew stronger. The driving reason behind this was none other than the horse program at Hidden Acres Christian Center. It really showed me how to use horses to glorify God and that's what my focus became. Right away I constructed devotionals relating horses to God and created a list of God-glorifying names for my horse when I got one. To make a long story short, God did bless me with a horse in His own time and I renamed him with a "Christian" name.

I had always expected myself to pursue a career in horses. I took business classes just as fillers in my schedule and even said "I swear I will never be an accountant." BUT God delights in irony, and through a series of events over a period of time I found myself almost completely ditching my career plans in the horse world in exchange for the exciting career of accounting. The thread of horses left in my education plans comes from my agribusiness degree. I've always wanted to start my own horse-related business as well, but yet again God's plan has been trumping my own.

The correlation between business and God is still lacking. One reason why I'm not fond of the business world is because its seeming distance from God. A good friend of mine once asked me, "So what are you going to do for God with an Accounting degree?" I can honestly say I couldn't answer that question. It was an issue that was on my heart for a long time until God showed me how I could relate business to Himself. The first way He showed me was to use the talents He gave me to benefit a non-profit ministry that furthers His kingdom. I was so excited when I made this discovery! For once I knew why I was randomly skilled at accounting. Secondly, and more recently, He showed me the need for Him to be present in the business world. That's why business is a topic of discussion in my blog, because God wants to be an active participant in that world, not just an observer.

These are the topics that I spend most of my time thinking on. They're what compose who I am on the deeper levels. And most of all, they are the areas where I am best equipped to share what God is doing in my life and what He has put in my life. As random as they may be, there is a greater purpose behind it all. I hope you enjoy reading my thoughts about God, Horses, and Business, and feel free to comment with your own!

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to hear what God has been doing in your life Mak, especially since Hidden Acres.

    God does like changing our plans a lot, doen'st He? It will for sure be interesting to see what God has in store.

    My screen name is Jayne so you may not recognize me by that name; however, I was a cook at Hidden Acres.

    Looking forward to more!

    Feel free to visit my blog: living4themaster.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete